SOPHI (the School of Professional Home Inspection) has been authorized by the State of Oregon to teach The Fundamentals of Home Inspection. Our classes are offered in a hybrid format, with some students attending in-person while others join via live Zoom. This unique setup allows for direct interaction between students and instructors, giving you the best opportunity to succeed in this fulfilling career.
At SOPHI, we’re not just experts in teaching home inspection skills, but also in helping you grow your business. We provide marketing guidance and materials to assist you in building your online presence. With years of experience in marketing and networking, we’re here to support you in achieving your goals.What is the median pay for home inspectors in Oregon?
As of 02/2022, indeed.com says the average salary for a home inspector is $61,150 per year in Oregon
Yes, here is their SOP
Candidates for certification as an Oregon home inspector must pass the National Home Inspector Examination. The exam is just part of the Oregon process to become a home inspector. The Home inspector application packet describes other requirements. If you are looking for approved course providers to obtain required points, you can find a list of education providers here.
- For background on the national exam and how to prepare for the test, visit the national exam website.
- PSI administers the National Home Inspector Examination at seven Oregon locations. Learn more. The Candidate Bulletin provides information about a study outline and sample test.
- The fee is $225. The four-hour exam consists of 200 multiple choice questions.
- It is important to keep the exam score report you receive from PSI when you pass the exam. You must submit this with other application materials.
Home inspector application packet.This form includes general information, eligibility requirements, test application, etc.
Add a Home Inspector. Use this form to add a Home Inspector to your CCB License
Home Inspector Consumer Protection Notice. This notice replaces the Home Inspector Summary and the Home Inspector Summary/Standards. By rule, home inspectors had to provide their customers one of the two notices.
Home inspector standards. This is a list of home inspector standards of behavior and standards of practice, as outlined in rule.
- $150 initial certification fee
- $150 certification renewal fee (every two years from date of certification)
Once you are certified, you must be an owner or employee of a business that is licensed with the Construction Contractors Board as a residential contractor. The business must be endorsed as one of these:
- Residential general contractor
- Residential specialty contractor
- Home inspector services contractor
If you only do home inspections – and do not perform construction work – you may want the home inspector services contractor endorsement. With this endorsement:
- You do not have to take pre-license education and pass a test to become a contractor.
- Your bond and insurance requirements are less than those of the residential general or specialty contractor endorsements.
Read more at the Oregon State website.
FUNDAMENTALS OF HOME INSPECTION | $2,500
State-Required (120 Hours)
All SOPHI courses are taught via zoom, live lectures in real-time. Classes are twelve 10-hour sessions with a special emphasis on Inspection Laws, (SOP), and practical inspection techniques. Our courses are taught by local, experienced Home Inspection Professionals who are ready to help you succeed. This intensive State-Certified course fulfills the requirement to take the National Home Inspection Exam (NHIE)
Class runs from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday and then Sunday off then Monday through Saturday and then you’re done.
The SOPHI program is 120 hours, whereas Oregon only requires 60 hours (20 points) of schooling – in order to apply to take the National Home Inspector Exam. By taking the SOPHI course you will place yourself well ahead right off the bat! Our intense 12-day program will prepare you for success.
All classes are live lectures on zoom.
Your SOPHI certification is recognized by the State of Washington and meets their state licensing requirements also.
We are approved by the Veterans Affairs Administration as an eligible provider for Veteran education benefits. (GI bill)
Have more questions? be sure to read our FAQ, or call us, we love to talk about home inspection careers.