A family died from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning after a tankless water heater began leaking the poisonous gas at high levels, according to authorities.

Police responded to the Reitter family home for a wellness check on May 2, after a concerned family member called 911. After seeing an unresponsive person in the home, police forced entry and found Gabe Reitter III, his wife Jennifer, and their children Gabe IV and Grace, dead inside, along with three dogs.

…the exhaust pipe on top of the water heater was slightly dislodged. … the source was a Navien tankless water heater that had been converted from natural gas to propane….Tests showed CO levels between 999 and 1200 parts per million in the home, according to the fire department. People can start experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning at 70 parts per million.


Categories: Uncategorized

JJ Greive

JJ & Suzanne are both licensed, highly skilled inspectors and educators. We are the authors of our class curriculum, and truly enjoy sharing this with our students