Stove Anti Tip Kits
All freestanding stoves sold since the 80’s have required anti tip kits. Most are not installed, be sure to check your stove.
Use Anchors to Avoid Furniture and Appliance Tip-Overs. Furniture, TVs and ranges can tip over and crush young children.
Deaths and injuries occur when children climb onto, fall against or pull themselves up on television stands, shelves, bookcases, dressers, desks, chests and ranges. For added security, anchor these products to the floor or attach them to a wall.
According to Consumer Reports Website:
The Consumer Product Safety Commission recently completed a review of range tip-over hazards and has started a public awareness campaign called “The Tipping Point.” Here are their key findings:
- There were 1,600 injuries in 2006 from appliance tip-overs; most of the victims were children under 5.
- There were 13 deaths from 2000 to 2006; most victims were children under 10 or adults over 70.
- The ranges associated with tip-over fatalities and injuries are freestanding or slide-in stoves with oven doors that swing downward.
- How do these accidents happen? Children pull open a stove door and climb on top of it, causing the range to tip over. Older adults lean on a stove door for support, causing the range to tip over.
- Heat from the range makes injuries worse.
- None of the ranges involved in tip-overs were secured to the wall, floor or cabinets.
What can you do now to prevent a range tip-over in your home? Secure your stove with the tip restraints provided by the manufacturer. These brackets are shipped with all new ranges but most aren’t installed. If you lost your safety bracket or have an older range call the manufacturer and ask for a tip restraint.
The CPSC is not aware of a single injury or fatality caused by a range that has had the brackets installed correctly. And the best advice of all, don’t allow your kids or anyone else to put their weight on an open oven door.
Read lots more child safety tips Here from the Consumer Products Safety Commission.
Source: US CPSC and ConsumerReports.org